Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
The Gunnison/Hinsdale Department of Human Services normally accepts applications from November through April each year.
Gunnison County Electric Association (GCEA) members may obtain applications by:
LEAP is designed to help low-income households meet their winter home heating costs; it does not pay the entire cost of home heating. LEAP is a federally funded program made available to Coloradans through the Colorado Department of Human Services. The program is administered locally at Gunnison Health and Human Services.
To be eligible for benefits:
- Households must pay heating costs to a utility company or fuel supplier, or pay heating costs as part of their rent
- Household income may not exceed 60% of the State Median Income
How to Apply
Members must submit:
- The filled-out LEAP Application Form (PDF)
- A copy of their most recent heating bill or rent receipt that shows a specific amount paid every month for heating costs (if heat is included in the rent)
- Proof of income for all members of the household who work
- A signed affidavit
- A copy of a valid Colorado picture ID