Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
The Gunnison/Hinsdale Department of Human Services normally accepts applications from November through April each year.
Gunnison County Electric Association (GCEA) members may obtain applications by:
LEAP is designed to help low-income households meet their winter home heating costs; it does not pay the entire cost of home heating. LEAP is a federally funded program made available to Coloradans through the Colorado Department of Human Services. The program is administered locally at Gunnison Health and Human Services.
To be eligible for benefits:
- Households must pay heating costs to a utility company or fuel supplier, or pay heating costs as part of their rent
- Household income may not exceed 60% of the State Median Income
How to Apply
Members must submit:
- The filled-out LEAP Application Form (PDF)
- A copy of their most recent heating bill or rent receipt that shows a specific amount paid every month for heating costs (if heat is included in the rent)
- Proof of income for all members of the household who work
- A signed affidavit
- A copy of a valid Colorado picture ID
Energy Outreach Colorado
In addition to LEAP, Bill Payment Assistance can also be accessed through Energy Outreach Colorado (EOC), a statewide non-profit organization. Energy Outreach Colorado’s funding comes from contributions from the energy industry as well as from individual energy consumers. More information on EOC Bill Payment Assistance can be found while applying for LEAP.