Life happens and sometimes you need help with your electric bill. The following resources can help you stay up-to-date with your bill. If you have questions, please call 970-641-3520.
Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
The Gunnison/Hinsdale Department of Human Services normally accepts applications from November through April each year.
Gunnison County Electric Association (GCEA) members may obtain applications by:
LEAP is designed to help low-income households meet their winter home heating costs; it does not pay the entire cost of home heating. LEAP is a federally funded program made available to Coloradans through the Colorado Department of Human Services. The program is administered locally at Gunnison Health and Human Services.
To be eligible for benefits:
- Households must pay heating costs to a utility company or fuel supplier, or pay heating costs as part of their rent
- Household income may not exceed 60% of the State Median Income
How to Apply
Members must submit:
- The filled-out LEAP Application Form (PDF)
- A copy of their most recent heating bill or rent receipt that shows a specific amount paid every month for heating costs (if heat is included in the rent)
- Proof of income for all members of the household who work
- A signed affidavit
- A copy of a valid Colorado picture ID
Energy Outreach Colorado
In addition to LEAP, Bill Payment Assistance can also be accessed through Energy Outreach Colorado (EOC), a statewide non-profit organization. Energy Outreach Colorado’s funding comes from contributions from the energy industry as well as from individual energy consumers. More information on EOC Bill Payment Assistance can be found while applying for LEAP.
Gunnison Valley Regional Housing Authority - GVHEAT
The Gunnison Valley Home Energy Advancement Team (GVHEAT) is a program from the Gunnison Valley Regional Housing Authority specifically designed to help households in Gunnison County reduce their energy costs and make their homes safe, livable, and affordable. Visit the GVHEAT website. GV-Heat provides home energy assessments and improvements at a free or reduced cost for qualified homeowners and renters by using utility rebates and program funding. GV-Heat will work with you to identify and implement home energy efficiency upgrades that will reduce your home energy costs and increase your home’s comfort. They will help you find low-to-no-cost solutions that work for your family and help you select experienced, professional home assessors and contractors. Examples of Eligible Upgrades Include:
- Appliance upgrades
- Air sealing
- Furnace upgrades
- LED lighting upgrades
- Programmable thermostats
- Other improvements identified in the home energy assessment
Housing Resources of Western Colorado
Housing Resources of Western Colorado - Provides housing services and housing that is affordable to families and individuals in Western Colorado through Housing Rehabilitation and Weatherization.
Energy Smart Colorado - A federally-funded program to help residents in Gunnison County to make energy improvements to their homes.
This program provides the following, free of charge, for qualifying residents:
- A home energy assessment or walk-through to identify energy improvements for your home.
- Energy upgrades, depending on your home’s priorities, to help you take control over your utility bills, improve the comfort and safety of your home, and save money each month.